Browse recommended websites (sorted by topic) relevant to the medical profession. Each website will open in a new window.
- Created to serve the needs of healthcare professionals (physicians, nurses, pharmacists, administrators, other members of the health professions), patients and their friends. Information is timely, relevant and can be tailored within their respective fields. Core components include weekly e-mails with bibliographic lists, personal web pages (convenient down-loading of available abstracts), and an overview of the medical literature published over the past 12 to 24 months.
Family Health International- Research Ethics Training Curriculum
- This website provides fundamental ethical principles included in the design and implementation of research involving human participants. Faculty and students could take this online course independently or could be used as a prepared class.
Human Resources for Health (HRH)
- The HRH Global Resource Center is a global library of health resources with focus on developing countries.
- Free site for health care providers. Registration is free. Registrants sign up to receive notifications of specialty content. 1200 journals are continuously reviewed and articles are indexed into 35 special and 845 sub-specialties. Weekly or daily deliver of content to personal e-mail.
- MedlinePlus will direct you to information to help answer health questions. This website brings together authoritative information from the U.S. National Library of Medicine, the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and other U.S. government agencies and health-related organizations. Preformulated MEDLINE searches are included in MedlinePlus and give easy access to medical journal articles. MedlinePlus also has extensive information about drugs, an illustrated medical encyclopedia, interactive patient tutorials, and latest health news.
- "Putting breaking medical news into practice," this free site has daily, peer-reviewed medical news articles written specifically for the clinician. Site can be personalized to focus on one's practice/specialty with delivery to one's personal e-mail. With registration (free) readers can earn CME or CE credits; can be used to demonstrate use of the website. From October 2005 to present, 1270 articles with a video clip are accessible without registration. Foreign physicians can register for CME and Afghanistan is in the list.
- Medscape from WebMD offers specialists, primary care physicians, and other health professionals robust and integrated medical information and educational tools. After a simple, 1-time, free registration, Medscape from WebMD automatically delivers to you a personalized specialty site that best fits your registration profile. It offers original, professional medical content, including review articles, journal commentary, expert columns, patient education articles, book reviews, and more, and conference coverage, of which thought leaders summarize key data and presentations from major medical meetings.
- World Health Organization (WHO) | Arabic site
- Search the World Health Organization website for information on specific country health issues, general health topics, WHO reports, data and statistics, and WHO projects.
Cardiology & Vascular Diseases
- American Heart Association
- Browse the American Heart Association's website to learn more about cardiovascular diseases, healthy heart lifestyle issues, and current news in the field.
- National League for Nursing (NLN)
- Dedicated to excellence in nursing education, the National League for Nursing is the preferred membership organization for nurse faculty and leaders in nursing education. NLN members include nurse educators, education agencies, health care agencies, and interested members of the public. The NLN offers faculty development programs, networking opportunities, continuing education, distance learning and sets professional standards (ie: credentialing guidelines for baccalaureate and graduate nursing programs, Certified Nurse Educator). An inquiry has been sent for free access to Nursing Education Perspectives.
- National League for Nursing: Simulation Innovation Resource Center (NLN-SIRC)
- SIRC is an online e-learning site where nursing faculty can learn how to develop and integrate simulation into their curriculum, and engage in dialogue with experts and peers. Registration to this site is free. Distance learning courses are available for learning about use of simulation in skills labs.
- OBGYN.net is a vast, and expanding website with over 1,000,000 pages of educational content, discussion forums, videos, educational tutorials, images, etc. (some areas are available to registered members only, registration is free).